A brothel (sometimes called Bordello) was a place where men, mostly pirates, could indulge themselves in activities of debauchery in exchange for money.
There were many houses of ill repute throughout the Caribbean. They were common sights on Tortuga and in the town of Port Royal on Jamaica. Brothels were not only places to pay for sexual pleasure, but also meeting places for the Brethren and other pirate officials. Some contained other ameneties as well, such as food and drink. Some badly reputible taverns also contained brothels, such as the Faithful Bride on Tortuga which was home to two wenches, Giselle and Scarlett. One of the most famous brothels in the Caribbean was one owned by Mistress Ching on Tortuga.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the 2003 game Pirates of the Caribbean, there is a functional brothel on the island of Quebradas Costillas which is the only one in the game. Additionally, Valentin Massoni stated that he would have rather conquered a town with a brothel in it.
- In early concept work of Nathan Schroeder for At World's End, there was a Singapore brothel attended by two women closely resembling the Empress twins together with a prostitute.
- There are two buildings in Pirates of the Caribbean Online that players have speculated as brothels, the first being a building on Port Royal in which Cassandra stands outside of. The second is next to Scarlett on Tortuga.
- In Terry Rossio's original script for Dead Men Tell No Tales, Hector Barbossa would have visited a brothel run by a large-breasted woman known as "The Madam", and where Barbossa would have visited a young woman named Nadirah.
- Pirates of the Caribbean (video game) (First appearance)
- The Price of Freedom
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (video game)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Mentioned only)