The First Mate, also known as the Chief Mate, Chief Officer, First officer, First Lieutenant, or simply The Mate, was placed in charge of a ship's cargo and deck crew. They were head of the deck department on merchant vessels.
The First Mate was responsible to the captain for the safety and security of the ship. Responsibilities included the crew's welfare and training in areas such as safety, firefighting, search and rescue. Though there were some First Mates, like Hector Barbossa, who betray their captains and take over their ships.
Notable First MatesEdit
- Sam Johnson (to Captain Drake)
- Malcom Hatcher (to Nathaniel Hawk) ― Victory
- Bartholomew Roberts (to Howell Davis) — Royal Rover
- Reece (to Laura Smith) ― La Fleur de la Mort
- Arabella Smith (to Jack Sparrow) ― Barnacle
- Mr. Hawk (to David Donovan) ― Sea Star
- Diego de Leon to Carolina ― Sparrow
- Edward Teach (to Benjamin Hornigold) — Mary Anne
- Luis Montoya (to Don Rafael) ― Venganza
- Luis Montoya (to Esmeralda) ― Venganza
- Jack Sparrow (to Nathaniel Bainbridge) ― Fair Wind
- Robert Greene (to Jack Sparrow) ― Wicked Wench
- Penny Finch (to James Sterling) ― Nemesis
- Marcus (to Jocard) ― Ranger
- Roland McTavish (to Benedict Huntington) — HMS Peacock
- Hector Barbossa (to Jack Sparrow) ― Black Pearl
- Lieutenant James Norrington (to an unnamed captain) ― HMS Dauntless
- Old Bill (to Pirate Captain) ― Wicked Wench
- Bo'sun (to Hector Barbossa) ― Black Pearl
- Lieutenant Theodore Groves (to James Norrington) — HMS Dauntless
- Joshamee Gibbs (to Jack Sparrow) ― HMS Interceptor/Black Pearl
- Lieutenant Gillette (to James Norrington) — HMS Dauntless
- Maccus (to Davy Jones) ― Flying Dutchman
- Tai Huang (to Sao Feng) ― Empress
- Lieutenant Theodore Groves (to Lord Cutler Beckett) — HMS Endeavour
- Bootstrap Bill Turner (to William Turner) ― Flying Dutchman
- Lieutenant Theodore Groves (to Hector Barbossa) — HMS Providence
- LaSchafe (to Blackbeard) ― Queen Anne's Revenge
- Angelica (to Blackbeard) ― Queen Anne's Revenge
- Mop Head Randy/Redbeard Randall (to Hector Barbossa) ― Queen Anne's Revenge
Behind the scenesEdit
- In Terry Rossio's first screenplay draft of At World's End, following an encounter with Jack Sparrow in Davy Jones' Locker Hector Barbossa would have agreed to sail aboard the Black Pearl under Sparrow as his First Mate.
- In Terry Rossio's original script for Dead Men Tell No Tales, Joshamee Gibbs would have rejoined the British Royal Navy, serving as First Mate under Admiral John Benbow aboard the HMS Bonaventure. Following the defeat of the Sea Widow and Queen Inez Hector Barbossa would have rejoined Jack Sparrow's crew as the First Mate of the Black Pearl, only to start planning another mutiny.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean Online, there is a weapon called First Mate's Cutlass.