| "We are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things."|
The title of this article is conjectural.
A Privateer's Weapon
After the attack on the Black Pearl, in which he lost his ship and right leg, Hector Barbossa accepted a Royal Pardon and became a privateer in the employ of King George II of Great Britain. As an reformed pirate and officer of the British Royal Navy, Barbossa began to wear an elegant ceremonial sword. Barbossa would wear this sword throughout his time as captain of the HMS Providence, most notably during the voyage throughout the quest for the Fountain of Youth.
A Poisonous Weapon
- "I'm not such the fool to take on Blackbeard without a little...venomous advantage."
- ―Hector Barbossa
To have the advantage in his revenge on Blackbeard, his main reason for joining the British, Barbossa used Poison dart frogs to make his sword more deadly. This proved fatal for when Blackbeard was stabbed with the sword, during his fight with Barbossa during the battle of the Fountain of Youth, and when Angelica accidentally cut herself with the sword. Upon achieving his revenge, Barbossa claimed Blackbeard's sword as his own.
This sword's fate is unknown, but it is likely that it remained at the Fountain of Youth where Barbossa left it, as he saw no reason to keep it anymore.
Design and usage
This sword's blade was like that of a rapier, but the handle was like that of a cutlass. The crossguard was a golden color, and the pommel was shaped like a lion's head. Also, the grip had gold wiring around it, and the grip itself was leather. From the pommel going down to the crossguard, the grip thinned.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game, Hector Barbossa never poisoned his sword. He only used the poison dart frog itself.
- The sword looks like the[http:// Privateer's Cutlass Privateer's Cutlass] from Pirates of the Caribbean Online.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (First appearance)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)