|"We are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things."|
The title of this article is conjectural.
This unique trinket belonged to Jack Sparrow. After his piece of eight was destroyed after the Fourth Brethren Court, Jack made a new trinket, known to be made of finger bones. One with a Chinese luck coin tied to some copper wire, the other with a barrel bead around it, a red bead, and one of his gold teeth.
Finding a new trinket
After the meeting of the Fourth Brethren Court, Jack Sparrow's piece of eight was burned to a crisp during the incantation to release Calypso. After the War Against Piracy, Jack replaced his piece of eight with a new trinket which was possibly made from two things Jack has fought and lived through, the Kraken (an engraved tooth) and the East India Trading Company (the pirate "P" brand). Having found some beads on adventures, all telling a story, Jack later made a new trinket.
Quest for the Fountain of Youth
As of the quest for the Fountain of Youth, Jack Sparrow's trinket would be made out of finger bones with a Chinese luck coin tied to some copper wire around one, and a barrel bead around the other, a red bead, and one of Jack's gold teeth. How his tooth ended up on it, as Jack told his father Edward Teague, he broke and swallowed it and later retreived it and polished it into his new trinket. Jack would also have tied the trinket to where it wouldn't be cut off, like his piece of eight did.
Though he wore his hat over it, Jack would wear the trinket in his further adventures. It was most notably seen during the quest for the Fountain of Youth, where Jack's trinket would be most exposed, as he lost his hat in this adventure.
Behind the scenes
- The name of this trinket is unknown, many fans referred it as the "Zombie finger" trinket. This is most likely because the trinket first appears in On Stranger Tides, the first film to include zombies.
- While it wasn't revealed in the final cut of On Stranger Tides, the film's script and a behind the scenes video showed a conversation between Jack Sparrow and Captain Teague, in which Jack revealed one of his teeth was used into his new trinket. Though it is unknown if it remains canon, Johnny Depp had stated in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that one of Jack's gold teeth was used for this trinket.
- The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Notes and references
- This trinket was made after Jack's piece of eight was destroyed at the end of the War Against Piracy. And Jack wore this trinket during the quest for the Fountain of Youth, which is said to take place in 1750.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
- JackSparrowCostuming - Wig and Bandanna
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides screenplay draft
- JackSparrowCostuming - OST Variances
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides': On-Set Footage
- STEAL THIS LOOK: Johnny Depp's Guide to Captain Jack's Style Entertainment Weekly - May 13, 2011