Laura Smith was a notorious smuggler and a pirate captain during the early 18th century, most notably in command of La Fleur de la Mort. Originally one of the owners of the Faithful Bride tavern in Tortuga, she left that life to gain riches by joining the buccaneers. She was also the mother of Arabella Smith.
Smith was born in England, where she met and married her husband. Together, they decided to make a life in the New World. They decided to open a tavern in Tortuga, thinking the port was mostly a stop for merchants and sailors.
- "I thought ye were dead."
"Oh. Well, I wasn't."
- ―Arabella Smith and Laura Smith
After opening the Faithful Bride, the couple discovered that Tortuga was a haven for pirates. They did their best despite this upset, but had financial trouble due to pirates not paying their bills and smashing the furniture. To make matters worse, her husband had become an alcoholic.
One day, Laura overheard a rumrunner complaining that he was having trouble getting past English officials. Smith offered her help in order to make some money. The plan was successful because Royal officials were unwilling to harass a lady and the organization grew, expanding into new areas.
Everything went wrong one day when Left-Foot Louis betrayed her. She was dragged out of the tavern in front of her daughter, Arabella. Outside, she and Louis dueled. Ultimately, she escaped on La Fleur de la Mort, though her daughter believed Louis had killed her. She vowed to return when she had the money to provide Arabella with the life she deserved.
- "Know that you're at the mercy of Captain Laura Smith!"
- ―Laura Smith
Years later, Louis was magically transported to the deck of her ship by the Sword of Cortés—wielded by Arabella on Isla Fortuna. Laura considered killing him, but decided to let him work with her crew. Shortly afterwards, she happened upon Arabella. She tried to explain what happened and establish a relationship, but Arabella was mad that her mother had never thought to tell her that she was still alive.
- "Traitorous thugs!"
- ―Laura Smith to her crew
- "I have returned with a business opportunity that will benefit us both."
- ―Laura Smith to Minuit
With a new crew, Laura set out. They met Billy Turner during their travels and took him on after he helped them defeat a British Royal Navy ship, a fierce sea beast and a group of pirates. Disapproving of her daughter's romantic attraction to Billy, Laura found herself taken prisoner, and held within Poseidon's Peak alongside her crew. There, they met Jack again, and helped him defeat Captain Torrents. Laura's current whereabouts are unknown.
Behind the scenes Edit
- It is possible that Laura Smith is a distant relative of a pirate John Smith.
- Portraits of Laura with Arabella can be seen in the Magic Kingdom's Tortuga Tavern restaurant.
- Jack Sparrow: The Coming Storm (First mentioned)
- Jack Sparrow: The Siren Song (Mentioned only)
- Jack Sparrow: The Pirate Chase (Mentioned only)
- Jack Sparrow: The Age of Bronze (First appearance) (First identified as Laura Smith)
- Jack Sparrow: Silver
- Jack Sparrow: City of Gold
- Jack Sparrow: Poseidon's Peak
- Jack Sparrow: Bold New Horizons
- Jack Sparrow: The Tale of Billy Turner and Other Stories
Notes and referencesEdit
|v • d • eCrew of La Fleur de la Mort|