|This article is about the animal species. You may be looking for the musical cue.|
- "How did Jack get off the island?"
"Well, I'll tell ye. He waded out into the shallows and he waited there three days and three nights till all manner of sea creatures came acclimated to his presence. And on the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed them together and made a raft."
"He roped a couple of sea turtles?"
"Aye, sea turtles."
- ―Will Turner and Joshamee Gibbs
Sea turtles are a species of marine reptile. With shells that protect them from predators, sea turtles can be found throughout tropical and subtropical seas around the world, including the Atlantic and Pacific and Indian Oceans, as well as the Mediterranean and the Caribbean Sea.
The name became a term associated with miraculous escapes from desperate situations, most likely popularized by the fanciful legends that surrounded Captain Jack Sparrow, though the term was first used by his father, Captain Edward Teague.
One of the most notable uses of sea turtles as a term was after a well-known legend arose of Jack Sparrow himself having escaped from Rumrunner's Isle. It was said that days after Hector Barbossa marooned him on the island to die, Jack roped himself a couple of sea turtles to make a raft. Will Turner was quick to point out a flaw in this story when Joshamee Gibbs relayed it aboard the Black Pearl: "What did he use for rope?" Jack himself supplied an addendum to the legend, stating he used human hair from his back.
About a year later, Will Turner would later use "sea turtles" to explain to Jack how he escaped from the Flying Dutchman, after arriving on Isla Cruces. This was also the explanation proffered by Teague as to the Prison Dog's miraculous escape from the cannibalistic Pelegostos. His audience, mainly Pintel and Ragetti, appeared satisfied with his answer.
- The Price of Freedom (Mentioned in flashbacks)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (First mentioned)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (First appearance) (appears in a story)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Mentioned only)
- The Journey of Will Turner! (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Mentioned only)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Tides of War (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)