Sirens were a legendary aquatic species who lived on Isla Sirena in Davy Jones' Locker. They used the merfolk and other species as intermediaries with sailors whom the Sirens attempted to lure to their deaths.
By the time Captain Jack Sparrow began sailing with his first crew aboard the Barnacle, legends of the Sirens were already well known in the Caribbean. During the quest for the Sword of Cortés, the shipmates were accosted by the merfolk, who attempted to lure Sparrow's crew down to Isla Sirena, and from there deliver them to the Sirens. Jack, however, was able to bargain with the mermaids, first securing the safety of his crew, and, during his second visit to the island, winning his own freedom. Some time later, he personally encountered the Sirens, thought that story is still shrouded in mystery.
Society and culture
Sirens were creatures whom sailors came to fear, depicted in legends as beings who lured men to a watery grave with their haunting song. In reality, they played a somewhat passive role, using agents such as the merfolk, gill men and sea warriors to do their bidding. In return, these lesser species were afforded the protection of the Sirens. Their agents were tasked with opening a sailor's heart to their deepest desire, until it became irresistible. At that point, the proxies would drag such doomed souls to a meeting with the Sirens themselves.
Behind the scenes
- While the Sirens do not appear in the POTC films themselves, the mermaids from On Stranger Tides seem to have siren-like qualities.
- Pintel mentions sirens when he and Ragetti discuss the riddles on the Mao Kun Map in the At World's End junior novelization.
- In Terry Rossio's original script for Dead Men Tell No Tales Jack Sparrow would become ensnared by the siren song, and it would be revealed that he was the only man to hear the song and survive the experience.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean Online players could use a Voodoo Doll named the Siren Doll.
- The Sirens make their first and only appearance in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise in the non-canon video game Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life where they are ruled by the Siren Queen who makes an alliance with the resurrected Davy Jones to destroy the pirate's life.
- In Greek mythology, the Sirens were beautiful women with the lower bodies of birds, they would lure unsuspecting sailors in the Mediterranean Sea with their songs, only to meet a watery grave.
- Jack Sparrow: The Siren Song (First mentioned)
- The Price of Freedom (Mentioned only)
- Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)
Notes and references
- Jack Sparrow: The Siren Song
- The Price of Freedom: Chapter One: Fair Winds and Black Ships
- Pirates of the Caribbean DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES Screenplay by Terry Rossio