The Spanish Army (Spanish: Ejército de Tierra) was the arm of the Spanish Armed Forces responsible for land-based military operations. Organized in the 15th century, it was one of the oldest armies in the world.
- "I know the Spanish army. The generals would never take that risk."
- ―Diego de Leon
After Christopher Colombus' successful navigation to the New World under Spanish patronage, Spanish forces rapidly began to occupy much of the new territories, rapidly taking the Bahamas and defeating the local Arawak groups. The efforts of Ferdinand Magellan led to the subsequent establishment of the colony of the Philippines which was to become an essential Spanish military base in the Pacific Ocean.
The challenge of the Barbary Corsairs encouraged defensive and punitive Spanish expeditions across the Mediterranean Sea, resulting in the conquest of various outposts in North Africa. The Spanish Conquistadores - who were mostly veterans of Spain's European or North African campaigns, soon defeated the American empires of the Aztecs and Incas.
In the early 1730s, the Spanish Governor of Florida sent the Spanish army to capture princess Carolina, who didn't want to marry him. She was captured, but soon liberated by pirates led by Jack Sparrow. The same year, one Spanish army fort was destroyed when the Shadow Army attacked and destroyed Panama.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Give it to 'em again lads...Aye, that'll show the bilge rats. Avast, ya scurvy scum! Run up yer white flag!"
"We will never surrender! Cobardes!"
"Very well, then! Give 'em a broadside! Pound 'em lads! Pound 'em!"
"We're gonna sink your stinking ship yo!"
"Take 'em below! Clear the decks, lads."
- ―Pirate Captain and Spanish soldiers
- In the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, the pirates attack Puerto Dorado, a city defended by the Spanish Army.
- Pirates of the Caribbean (ride) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Legends of the Brethren Court: The Caribbean
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (video game)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (First appearance)