Whales were gigantic marine mammals live completely in the waters. Dolphins and porpoises are relative to whales (biologically, these are the members of whales).
Accoring to Jack Sparrow, a legendary White Whale was saved by him and Will Turner and then later helped the two in defeating Viking King and fleeing the stranded Interceptor in northern sea. However, it's more probable the story was just one of Sparrow's many fabrications.
Whales were heavily hunted for centuries mostly for oils and baleens, resulting in one of the pioneering reasons for men to sail and explore the oceans. Men ventured across the vast waters, and many ports such as Boston were opened for this purpose. these were used for various gears and lights. The lighthouse of notorious Whitecap Bay also used whale oils for lightening.
Behind the scenes
- In a deleted scene from Dead Men Tell No Tales, when Jack Sparrow and Carina Smyth land in Poseidon's Tomb, a humpback whale swims nearby, its right flipper emerging from the wall of water for a few moments, stunning them. The scene was adapted from a similar scene from Terry Rossio's 2012 draft of the Dead Men Tell No Tales script where Jack Sparrow and his crew ended up on the dried up bottom of the sea, with the walls of water surrounding them.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean Online there was a special sword called the Whalebone Blade.
- Although the whale skeleton to appear in the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales was broadcasted as of a sperm whale, it is clearly of a baleen whale based on the skull, however this could be a unique whale species because the skull shows characteristics of either the Right Whale or the Bowhead Whale (along with the others such as the Sperm Whale, they were some of primarily targeted species by industrial whaling), but the body bones are much larger than the real whales.
- Right whales are some of the most rare and endangered whale species in the world. It is currently unclear whether or not right whales historically migrated into the Caribbean Sea in real world while it had been thought until recently that right whales won't migrate up to Gold Coast (the filming location), but small numbers of right whales are now appearing thanks to recovery of the species.
- Jack Sparrow: Dance of the Hours (First mentioned)
- Jack Sparrow: Poseidon's Peak (First appearance)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow (white whale)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Tides of War (mutated whale)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Indirectly mentioned)
- The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth (skeleton)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (skeleton)
Notes and references
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Tides of War
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Pirates of the Caribbean DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES Screenplay by Terry Rossio
- Simonot S.. 2015. Giant whale carcass at Hastings Point latest set for Depp’s Pirates of Caribbean 5 movie shoot. Gold Coast Bulletin. Retrieved on April 14, 2017